- For optimal results, and to minimize the chance of bleeding or bruising at the injection site, please avoid all blood-thinning medications and supplements for one week prior to your appointment. This includes over-the-counter medication such as aspirin, Motrin, ibuprofen, and Aleve. Also, avoid herbal supplements such as garlic, vitamin E, gingko biloba, St. John’s Wort, and omega-3/fish oil capsules. If you have a cardiovascular history, please check with your medical provider prior to stopping the use of aspirin or other prescribed blood-thinning medications.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 12 hours before or after your treatment to avoid extra bruising.
- Please consider if you have any upcoming events or pictures in the 2 weeks after your appointment as bruising can occur.
- Please eat something prior to your appointment. Getting lightheaded is no fun for you or the provider.
- For lip filler patients: Inform your provider if you have a history of cold sores around your mouth to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment. (Valtrex or acyclovir 500 mg, twice a day for 1-2 days before and 3 days after treatment)
- For all filler patients: You must have no signs or symptoms of any active infection including colds, flu, UTIs, or any other infective process.
- No rubbing your face, putting your face in a face cradle for a massage, no exercise, and no hot saunas or baths for a minimum of 4 hours. Exercise may resume after 6-8 hours.
- Remember, it takes 3-7 days for the Neurotoxin to work and peak effectiveness is at 14 days. The Neurotoxin is expected to last 3-4 months, but also know that after day 14, the medication is “wearing off”. It is expected and normal that movement will begin to return around week 8-10 and then it is recommended that the next treatment is around week 12-16.
- Touch-ups are scheduled between days 12 and 21 post-treatment. Additional units may be necessary for ideal results. There will be no touch-ups beyond the 21-day mark. If you feel you have more movement than you would like after day 21, increasing the dose at your next appointment may be appropriate. This is not considered a block failure, just that you may require more. Please let your provider know at the next appointment and we will adjust accordingly.
- Please know that moving is not natural. The goal is to block the motion that makes the wrinkle, not necessarily be frozen. And you won’t be frozen for an entire 3-4 months. This is not how Neurotoxins work.
- No rubbing your face, putting your face in a face cradle for a massage, no exercise, and no hot saunas or baths for a minimum of 3 days. Exercise may resume after 24 hours or when you feel your swelling is improved.
- Avoid significant movement or massage of the treated area unless instructed by the provider.
- Lip patients, please know that filler will feel lumpy and bumpy for weeks. This is normal. If after 4 weeks a lump is bothering you or is visible, we will schedule a time for you to come in to be assessed.
- If you have swelling, you may apply a cool compress for 15 minutes each hour.
- You may use Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen) for discomfort.
- Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
Additional notes about dermal fillers:
Dermal fillers last, on average, 6-12 months. It is recommended at the time of your treatment to schedule your next appointment for optimal anti-aging benefits. The most typical side effects (bruising, swelling, redness) are temporary and will resolve. Lumps and bumps are normal and almost always resolve without intervention within 2-4 weeks. If after 4 weeks something is visible, we can schedule a time to be assessed.
Please call the office to notify us if you experience any additional side effects or if you notice bruising or pain is worsening, not improving as we would expect.